It isn’t just adults that are prone to developing eye problems; young children can also experience various vision problems at an early age. While most will be temporary and can be cured easily, others can be severe and will require specialized care.
We at Vizavance offer free vision screenings Oklahoma for children and have seen that when problems are detected early, it becomes easier to treat them and prevent them from escalating in the future. Some of the most common vision problems that can arise in children include:
- Amblyopia- Also referred to as lazy eye, this problem could also be symptom of other problems such as ptosis, cataract, refractive error or strabismus. The affected eye doesn’t receive a clear picture, but the problem can be treated when caught early. Patching or corrective glasses may be recommended for children that have amblyopia.
- Strabismus– This may also be called turned eyes, crossed eyes or squint and the child may have one straight eye while the other may point in a different direction. In some cases, this problem is temporary, while at others it could be a permanent condition. In most instances, a ophthalmologist will recommend eye exercises/glasses as a treatment. The more severe conditions might require surgery.
- Chalazion– In this condition, a swelling appears on either one or both the eyes. The eyes could emit a yellowish secretion or develop some redness. This problem should be treated without delay as that can impact the child’s vision irrevocably.
- Epiphora– Blocked tear ducts cause this problem and the child can experience excessive tearing. Regular tear duct massages can help resolve this problem that can take between six to a year to recede.
- Myopia- This condition is referred to as nearsightedness and the child is unable to clearly see objects that are at a distance. This problem can also result in lazy eye in kid. Regular testing is important even after this problem has been detected and the child may have to wear glasses for the long term.
Common Eye Problems
Since there are so many different vision problems that can arise in children, its best to get vision screening for preschoolers Oklahoma as well as children of all ages. As mentioned earlier, when these problems are detected early, it becomes easier to treat them successfully. Some of the common eye vision problems to look out for include:
- Delayed motor development
- Frequent eye rubbing
- Inability to maintain eye contact
- Excessive blinking
- Other issues
Poor vision can affect a child’s ability to focus & learn. Ultimately, this also impacts their overall health and can lead to various other health issues as well. If you want to know more or want to get vision screening tests for kids OKC, don’t hesitate to contact us at Vizavance.
- Timely detection of these problems and early intervention is crucial when it comes to treating eye problems. You can reach us at the Tulsa office by calling 918 496 3484 or at the OKC office by calling 405 848 7123.